- This page describes the development of the new network stack for KolibriOS
- Since SVN #3556, the code has been merged in trunk and is now available in the english, russian spanish and italian builds of kolibrios!
- You can find the latest source code on svn://kolibrios.org/kernel/trunk (websvn)
- You can download an image file with pre-compiled library, applications, kernel and drivers on the builds page
- All bugs may be reported to KolibriOS bug tracker
- 1 Progress
- 2 Drivers
- 3 Programs
- 4 Libraries
- 5 Applications, old vs new
- 6 We need your help!
System functions 52, 53 have been replaced by functions 74 (Network hardware access), 75 (BSD sockets) and 76 (Network settings and statistics). See sysfuncs.txt for details.
Internally, the network stack has been completely rewritten (mostly from scratch).
All network drivers have been converted and or rewritten to operate with the new network stack.
- Attaching multiple network drivers/devices to the kernel
- Sending and receiving Ethernet/IPv4/UDP/ICMP/ARP/TCP packets
- Queuing of packets when necessary
- UDP/TCP/RAW(ICMP/IP..) sockets (POSIX compatible)
- Blocking sockets
- IPC/local sockets (needs testing)
- Dedicated network buffers (need to finish NET_alloc, NET_free)
- IP address assignment for all network interfaces
- Link detection for all network drivers (Currently works on RTL8139, RTL8169, forcedeth, mtd80x, i8254x)
- Improved routing
- TCP: reassembly queue, testing (timestamps, RTT, PAWS, ...), ...
- PPP (need help developing/testing)
In net-branch, the network drivers are external drivers, as described in Writing_drivers_for_KolibriOS.
The specifications of the new network drivers can be found in the article Writing_network_drivers_for_KolibriOS.
Unsupported PCI card? If you have a PCI/PCI-X/PCI-express ethernet card which is not listed above, and would like to acces the internet in KolibriOS, you may send me the card, and I'll send you one back that is already supported.
CLI FTP client.
Also see: Using kolibrios.org with ftpc
Full fledged FTP daemon. Fully configureable through ini files.
Status: Basic commands work.
uses libini.obj, libio.obj and console.obj, TODO: STOR command, dont use libio, ...
Commandline DNS client.
This program uses network.obj and console.obj
Software KM-switch, (Synergy - client) for windows/unix/.. versions, see http://synergy-foss.org
This version is compatible with version 1.3.1
Only mouse events are accepted in the current version.
There is a bug in the loading of libraries which might cause program to crash on loading
uses network.obj, libini.obj and console.obj
This program allows you to control a remote computer. The remote computer must be running a VNC server that support the RFB 3.3 protocol.
The client currently supports RAW, CopyRect, RRE and TRLE encodings.
Authentication to a password protected VNC server is possible through the "VNC Authentication" algorithm.
There is currently no support for encryption.
TODO: ZRLE, ..
This program reads settings from network.ini and configures the tcp/ip stack accordingly
You may choose for a manual setup, or dhcp / link-local.
TODO: keep listening for DHCP release packets etc.
TODO: Improve front-end, ...
Program that can be used for printing socket variables, usefull for debugging.
PPPoE dialer - unfinished
TCP server demo program, this program can be used with iperf client to measure performance of the stack.
Network library for KolibriOS, written by Clevermouse. Primary functions are getaddrinfo, inet_ntoa.
HTTP client library, can be used to fetch content from the web.
Currently support HTTP/1.1 GET, POST and HEAD methods. HTTP proxy's are also supported (settings in network.ini).
Applications, old vs new
|airc||ircc||IRC client (rewritten from scratch)|
|arpstat||netstat||ARP configuration utility (rewritten)|
|chess||/||may be ported|
|dhcp||/||replaced by zeroconf|
|dnsr||nslookup||Name service lookup (DNS resolver)|
|ftps||ftpd||FTP daemon (server)|
|https||/||may be ported, better to rewrite|
|icq||/||may be ported|
|ipc||/||may be ported|
|local||/||may be ported|
|mp3s||/||may be ported|
|netsendc||/||may be ported|
|netsends||/||may be ported|
|nntpc||/||may be ported|
|popc||/||may be ported (or replaced with liza?)|
|ppp||/||N/A (a new utility should be made)|
|rccc||/||may be ported|
|rccs||/||may be ported|
|remote||/||may be ported|
|smtps||/||may be ported|
|stackcfg||netstat||not possible to manually set ip yet (and may need better name)|
|telnet||telnet||rewritten from scratch|
|tftpa||/||may be ported|
|tftpc||tftpc||Trivial File Transer Protocol Client|
|ym||/||may be ported|
We need your help!
- If you think you can help with further development of networking applications, driver or kernel code in any way, please let us know through the forum or IRC channel.