As it was shown (see for example KolibriOS for Manufacturing control), KolibriOS can be successfully used in wide range of data acquisition and process control systems.
A compact open-source kernel, a simple and convenient minimalistic graphics subsystem, fairly developed user interface, very capable low-level system services, most popular network protocols and filesystems support - all this set of features let us possess KolibriOS as a perspective embedded OS.
In the other hand, some serious problems still must be solved to make it a true embedded-OS: .
As an attempt to try different solutions of those problems, "Kolibri-A" branch-project has been started in July 2010.
NB: the A letter means its code will be tied to AMD/HT architecture; particularly to a well-documented AMD chipsets NB780/SB700 and Fusion/Hudson. Other platforms might not be supported in the nearest future...
Note also that some specific features of Kolibri-A are 100% experimental: - you're warned you can use or test this branch on your own risk, and - you should realise that some of these features will never be merged to the main KolibriOS trunk.
Specific features of Kolibri-A
- extended PCI service;
- direct read/write transactions to/from several user-accessible memory-mapped IO regions;
- a static system buffer (8Мb) available for non-standard device testing and user-world DMA-operations;
- an RT-optimized memory manager;
- burst-DMA mode (PCI) и "long" PCI-express packets support (also in the userspace!);
- native support of Extended PCI-express configspace;
- direct (APIC-unfriendly) power control;
- 32bit-optimized graphics,
- experimental non-scalable vector fonts,
- optional ROM-bootloader,
- fast system calls.